20051213

Autographs on Photographs



The ultimate object never existed to start with. It is an empty place into which we project certain images, and the doubts about an object’s authenticity serve to accentuate this difference between an object and a place. The object and the place the object goes are separate, and when an object seems to become special, different from everything else, the question of authenticity will always emerge.
Autographs on Photographs addresses these issues.




A letter to John Baldessari, with signed comment and returned.

translation:

Dear Mel, I don't sign photos. I like your project. JB




Original photograph by Melody Matthews autographed by
Arthur Tress with comment.

tranlation:

Mel, This kind of conceptual intellectual approach to photography is a total waste of time. Photography is about the truths of the human heart - yours and others, not mind games that attempt to make some negliable cultural point that will only impress others in the art and curatorial world - get real Arthur Tress




Autographed by Grace Robertson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and what a concert it was, with Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald! I still remember it well. I was with you in that line--and no, I'm not sure what foolishness came out of my mouth meeting him, but Count Basie's penmanship was very impressive.

How are you, my friend? Seems like only yesterday I saw you, but was it really at my wedding reception? That was March 15, 1986.... Have I seen you since then? You went to England and I went to Austria.

We *must* connect some time and reminisce.

Lots of love from your friend, Peter